Sunday, May 22, 2016

Backup Lighting project continues.....

Worked a little more on the backup lighting project to complete the LED wheel well lighting which will light up the wheels when I am backing up so I can see them and any obstructions.

I purchased the LED strips at AutoZone which included two 4" long White LED segments backed with 3M automotive adhesive strips.  To install them I found that I could place them inside the metal trim strip lining the wheel wells.  There is a strip that I could install and secure the wires with some super strong gorilla tape and some washers installed over the existing screws.  Some silicone adhesive would be good as well for the tough spots.
Only a few basics needed for installation.
Prior to beginning the installation I cleaned the trim piece with water and soap, and after dry, I cleaned again with some rubbing alcohol to be sure it was good and clean for the adhesives of the tape to bond.  I first placed the lights and tested them, and then slowly worked the wire towards the back of the wheel well.   As I approached each trim screw, I backed out the screw, ran the wire and tape, and then added a washer to the screw to clamp the assembly back together.
The LED Strip on the trim and the protected wire.
The overall goal is to have these light the wheel well area lightly but also the surrounding ground so that we can see where the wheels are and the boards we are placing there or any rocks in the way as we back into the site or the parking spot here at home.  They are wired to come on only with the reverse lights that I added at this point (Yellow Wire in the Harness), but I do have the ability to separate them later and have on a switch if needed.
Testing them out, work great!


No comments:

Post a Comment