Sunday, August 12, 2012

Camper Projects

As mentioned in our last post, we found a few items that we could improve or work on with the camper or our planning.  After noting them, making some sketches, and a run to Lowes, it was time to check some items off the list.

First, the camper sits high, and for little Madie that first step is quite a doosey.  Nearly double a typical stair riser height, I felt it would be best to add a larger platform landing.  I used  2x6x8 and made a 18"x30" platform sheathed on one side with 1/2" OSB that I had laying ou at the garage.  This size also allowed me to use a piece of carpet to cover the top rather than just having a plywood landing.  Flip the step over and the carpet protects the floor of the camper as we can stack stuff inside the box and fit it inside the collapsed camper as a storage container! (Time: 30 Minutes)

Buidling the box / landing platform

Madie Testing the platform, now covered with low-nap carpet ontop
Second, the sink drain is really slow.  The current system has the grey water exit as soon as it come thru the sink trap.  Typically, this is where you have a vent in your plumbing at your home.  So, using 1 1/2" diameter PVC I made a Tee connection with an offset riser to an Air Admittance valve.  The importance of the Air Admittance valve is that it will allow air into the riser, but not out, meaning when we are connected to our holding tank or directly connected to a sewer hookup we will not have those odors coming back up the pipe and into our camper thru the side screens.  Using a garden hose, Becky tested the sink before and after, and there is an improvement in the speed in which the sink drains.  (Time: 20 Minutes)
Vent System.  Offset so I can hook up my water at the top black connection point.

Third, I cleaned up some of the sagging wires in the front near the battery box and back to the camper.  They were secure, just not bundled as neatly as I would have expected.  Some evenly spaced ties later, and it looks better. (Time: 5 Min)

Lastly, we will have the opportunity at many of our campgrounds to go fishing.  This will be something fun for the kids in the morning or later evening.  Fishing rods are a challenge to have in the car sometimes as they have to be placed on the luggage and moved all the time.  Two options, store them ontop of the car, or store them on the camper.  With the shape of the camper at the back, it made sense to use that effectively and to keep the girls fishing rods there so we will have them for each trip.  I decided to use a 4 3/4" square piece of vinyl fence sleeve as it woudl be easy to mount to the extension of the frame.  (Note, there is 4" typically at the store, but they do have this larger size in limited quantity.)  Nested inside of this I used a section of vinyl gutter as a slide tray.  A quick stop at the clearance hardware and I had a nice pull handle to use.  I first cut the square tube to 6'-10", giving me space for the end caps to be installed and stay within the 7'-0" overall length I wanted, which is equal to the width of the camper.  I then cut the gutter to 6'-8 1/2", to allow the handle to nest inside the end caps.  Traced the gutter profile on some 1x6 and I had my wood ends.  Time to assemble!  (Time: 2 hrs,.. had to think about this one....)

Figuring, Measuring, Test Fitting

Strapping and Anchoring to frame at the rear bumper

Finished! Open Cap, slide out the fishing rods!  (holds 3, staggered)

Closed Up.  Doesn't obstruct anything or lights.  Accessible anytime.
So, while I installed these items, Becky checked the stock in the camper and loaded some of our items.  This week is packed with things for everyone, next weekend we are home yet, and then we go to Knoebels for a few days.  That will begin our camping every two weeks until November 1st.  :-)

I'm sure we'll start another list over the next few weeks.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. The Maddie step, love it. The projects that just make everything work for you all, good stuff. Fishing poles....Hmmmmm....not a bad idea, a short drive to the bay from our park. Actually looking to find a couple of bikes for us to ride too.

    We all putz around with things to make the RV work for us, the rig is no different. I have a few items on my "to do" list but they will hold until late October when the rig is here at the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The step is a great idea. I built one 24"x30" topped it with green astro turf. The my brother-in-law copied it adding a 6ft rope light around it....back to Lowes I go....lol

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_25762-86988-ML-2W--120V-6FT-C_4294715750__?productId=3439152&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a RV storage for my furniture. I want to take io another place. I think it can help me better.
    RV storage in Vancouver, WA

    ReplyDelete